After making the Welcome Sign using Wood burning tool, I was thinking of what else I can do with the wood burning tool.Then I came to know ,It can also be used with leather to burn designs.I experimented with leather bands and was surprised with the results. So, I ended up making these leather bracelets for men. Do you want to make awesome bracelets for you handsome boy friend or if you are guy reading this, do you want to make one for you or your bro? Keep reading to learn how !!
Materials Required :
Step 1: Burn the word on the leather band
First trim your band to fit your wrist if it is too lengthy for your hand. The band which I had was around 8 inches and so I trimmed it to 7 inch to suit my husband's wrist. I decided to write a word(Such as "Hope",Believe","Fearless","Brave","Cool",etc.Whichever suits you or the man you are making) in the middle and decorate with some designs on each side. But If you don't want any words and just design you can very well jump to the next step.
Step 2 : Burning the designs
For the design, I used special nib such as a diamond design with stripes and a tear drop shaped nib. But , if you don't have any particular design nib you can always draw the design using pen and burn it with universal nib.
For the second design, I used the tip of the tear drop nib to create a triangle shaped design on both the sides of the leather band.
Step 3 : Wrapping the ends
- Take 20" length of waxed cotton cord , make a loop at the end of the leather band in such a way that the loop should be formed at the end of the band and the shorter length of the cord is facing towards you(Or towards the other end).Dab a small amount of glue (E6000) for extra security.
- Wrap around the loop using the longer end for eight times. Pass the longer end of the cord into the loop and pull the shorter end of the cord to tighten the loop.Trim the excess at the shorter end and leave the long end of the thread as such.
- Repeat the same on the other end of the leather band.
Step 4 : Making square knot for sliding closure
- Join both the threads from the wrapped ends and lets name it as M (Middle). To make square knot take a thread of length around 15" and make a overhand knot around the M threads. Now you have equal length of threads on the sides of M. Let's name the Left thread as L and the right thread as R.
- Take L and go over the M and under the R.Now take R and go under the M and L in the middle and Over the L as shown and tighten the knot to form the first half of the square knot. Repeat the same step by starting on the R thread first.
- Take R and go over the M and under the L. Now take L and go under the M and R in the middle and Over the R as shown in the picture and tighten the knot to complete the first square knot. Repeat both steps to create a chain of square knot and complete it with a overhand knot. Secure the end with a dab of glue and trim the thread.
- Now make a simple knot at the end of the M threads to prevent the sliding of the threads into the knot and the closure is complete.Voila!! The bracelet is now ready to wear. If you don't want to make the sliding closure by yourself ,get a metal clasp that fits you leather band and glue it at the ends for the closure.
What do you think about this bracelet ?? Will you make one for your man or guy friends or brothers?? What other things have you done with your hands for your husband or any men in your life ?? Share them in the comments below. As always I will be happy to hear from you.